The Sainte Pierre Church was built in the 12th century. It results from the enlargement of an existing chapel: "La Chapelle Saint Pierre", built around the 9th century, during the Carolingian period.
The church is a building which, by its simplicity and the character of its vaults, recalls the Romanesque style.
The church is oriented towards the tomb of Christ. The nave is rectangular, with two bays. On the north side, you can see columns dating from the 12th century, decorated with rosette acanthus leaves.
In front of the altar, on the north side, is a chapel dedicated to Our Lady. It is located on the very site of the 9th century Saint Pierre chapel around which the current church was built.
The western facade is flanked at both ends by two buttresses. It is decorated with corbels, certainly dating from the 12th century. Some are at the extremities and represent masks of monstrous or diabolical aspect. The others frame the window and represent human characters in allegorical scenes: one drinking, testimony to the culture of the vine in the 12th century in Aunis, the other brandishing the blacksmith's hammer (wood from the forest supplied formerly the forges). The facade is surmounted by a wrought iron cross. The opening of the portal is formed by a semicircular arch.
The bell tower was strongly consolidated in 1888. The current bell was installed in 1750 and weighs 280 kilos. She was baptized Anne Charles Frédéric, Marie Louise (respective first names of the godfather and the godmother).
The church was raised from its ruins at the end of the 17th century and in the 18th century. Paneling was then placed on the ceiling, respecting the Romanesque style.
- Pet Friendly
Not disclosedSpoken languages