A captioned story relates that Saint Eutrope, bishop of saints, in the process of evangelizing the Gulf of Pictons, was attacked by a terrible storm. He then made a vow to build a chapel where the flood would reject him.
He ended up at La Ronde, on the island of Vieux Maillé, and carried out his wish. His relics were placed there.
From the end of the 17th century, the church of Saint Pierre de La Ronde is mentioned as one of the first possessions and dependencies of the powerful abbey of Maillezais. By royal decree of October 1847, XNUMX, the former parish of Taugon and its annex of La Ronde separated. The latter regains its total autonomy, easing the tensions of the two villages. The church of La Ronde is therefore completely rebuilt and becomes the witness of the autonomy of the new small town.
The Saint Pierre church is a local witness to the innovations of the 1856th century and neo-classical art. the construction of the church began in 1859, in place of the Romanesque church surrounded by its cemetery. It will end in XNUMX.
Of basilical plan, composed of a single nave ended by a semicircular apse, the building is 33 meters long, 12 wide and almost 10 under ceiling. Its bell tower, located behind the choir, to the east, rises to more than 30 meters. The Saint Pierre church embodies the desire to demonstrate, with splendor and wealth, the independence of the round.
Behind its severe freestone facade, worthy of a temple, the Saint Pierre church contains, thanks to numerous donations, a wealth of neo-classical furniture, including in particular:
- two marble stoups, a large crystal chandelier (Lyon candlestick), a XNUMXth century wooden pulpit
- an XNUMXth century wooden Christ; only vestige of the old church, of human size (registered historical monuments)
- one of the first polyphonic organs in France (1854)
- a curved false marble high altar under a monumental baroque canopy supplied in 1858 by Bozzo et Neveu de Paris (registered historical monument)
- two curved faux-marble side altars and their altarpieces
- a Vatican II altar, dedicated to Saint Eutrope, made by Arnaud Robinault-Jaulin from 1997 to 1999
The church also has a treasury made up of chalices, ciboria, monstrances, copes, chasubles and altar ornaments dating from the XNUMXth to XNUMXth centuries.
The bell tower houses 3 tuned bells: Julie (sol, 500 kg), Jeanne (la, 400 kg) and Adélaïde (si, 300 kg).
Free access.Pet Friendly
Not disclosedSpoken languages